The World’s Biggest Lie: achievement is greater than fulfilment
The World’s biggest lie according to Tony Robbins, “achievement is greater than fulfilment.”
On the Tim Ferriss Podcast with Tony Robbins, Tony goes off on an amazing but very thought provoking tangent.
Fulfillment is greater than achievement.
His theory of what’s wrong with society is that we continuously put achievement before fulfillment. We’re always looking for the next big thing, the next toy, house, car, or vacation. Nothing is ever good enough and you’re destined to die a lonely death.
Tony talks about Robin Williams and how he asks about Robin to crowds all over the world. Everywhere Tony goes he says 98% of the crowd LOVES Robin Williams, the other 2%? He makes fun of them too.
He asks crowds about Williams because he trying to make a point. Robin Williams of all people had it all, he’d won every award in his field, he was widely regarded as one of the best comedians and actors of his generation. Then Tony get’s mad. “And what did Robin after all of those achievements? He hung himself. He still wasn’t good enough in his mind.”
We have a duty in the life to help others. One major way is to focus on fulfillment and forget achievement. How can you do this? It’s hard to forget about achievement, we’re built to want ti achieve. It makes us feel good, it’s an ego boost. But the problem with achievement is that it can get addicting, you can want it at all costs, sacrificing things you never would have. Eventually simply focusing on achievement will lead you to disappointment.
The wise owls always worry about fulfillment before achievement, for achievement is but a fleeting emotion, fulfillment feeds the soul.
Fulfillment is sustainable. Fulfillment is that feeling that makes you smile when you wake up in the morning and the reason you’re happy falling asleep. It’s challenging, it’s spiritual, it’s something personal, it’s your journey. It has nothing to do with anyone else, it’s your art and only you know if you’re putting in 110% all the time. When you do, you’ll get a weird feeling of contentment.
Achievement is an ugly beast
Achievement is different. It can feel amazing, unbelievable, like nothing you’ve ever felt. But it comes with a dark side. Once you’ve had a taste of achievement you can’t get enough of it. Like a drug addict willing to do anything and everything for their drug, you start sacrificing things you shouldn’t simply for achievement sake. You keep pushing the limits of what you’re capable of to the point you don’t really know why you’re doing it anymore. You’ve lost all sense of feeling, you’re completely attached to the achievement, to the feeling you get when you’re in the spotlight.
Then the day comes when they turn off the spotlight. What will you do? What will you do when you know you can’t achieve anymore?
Hopefully by then you’ve explored the concept of fulfillment. Hopefully by then you see the beauty in others around you and your art in a part of the community, not profiting from it.
If you want to get serious about beating achievements fat ugly face and start feeling more fulfilled take heed to the lines below.
There’s more to life than you think…
Stop asking how much she makes, instead ask how happy she is.
Stop asking how many vacations he’s gone on, and ask about how often he spends time with his family.
Stop wondering what vehicle they drive and start wondering how often they drive others around.
Stop wondering how much is in someones’ bank account and start wondering how you can increase your own karma bank account.
Stop worrying about yourself and start worrying about your community.
Stop trying to collect awards and start collecting smiles.
Stop trying to get paid more and start trying to learn more.
Be a person of action, not credentials. Credentials are achievements proof of purchase. Instead focus on what impossible problem are you working on. Whats your BHAG? What amazing thing are you going to do that will change the world one day?
Experiences are much more important than things. People are the most important thing in your life, act accordingly.
This is amazing! Thanks for writing and sharing this, I’ve been listening to Tim Ferriss and Tony Robbins a lot lately. I stumbled upon this article and found your website. I’m impressed by the way you framed your values. They are honest and transparent. I’ve been reading from the “Principles” by Ray Dalio, which I see a lot of alignment in the values of your work. If you haven’t heard of him, I would highly suggest a read.
I’m in Toronto, so I would be happy to connect you with any contacts I might have- just specify your target audience. Keep up the great work you are doing!
Have a great day,